Filing Fee Changes Effective November 21, 2012
The Temporary Bankruptcy Judgeships Extension Act of 2012, which was signed into law by the President on May 25, 2012, includes a provision that increases the fee for filing a bankruptcy case under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code to $1,167.00. This fee increase will apply to all new Chapter 11 cases filed on or after November 21, 2012. The total fee for filing a Chapter 11 case will increase to $1,213.00 (statutory fee of $1,167.00 under 28 U. S. C.§ 1930(a)(3) plus the administrative fee of $46.00 under Item 8 of the Bankruptcy Court Miscellaneous Fee Schedule).
Additionally, the Judicial Conference has approved a recommendation to increase the following three miscellaneous fees that are derived from the Chapter 11 filing fee to correspond with the increase to $1,167.00 effective November 21, 2012:
• the fee for splitting a joint Chapter 11 case (Item 18 of the Fee Schedule);
• the fee for reopening a Chapter 11 case (Item 11 of the Fee Schedule);
• the fee for filing a Chapter 15 case (Item 15 of the Fee Schedule). Also, as a result of the increase to the Chapter 11 filing fee, the following fees as set forth under 28 U.S.C. §1930(a) will increase:
• The fee for filing a Chapter 9 case - to $1,167.00 plus the administrative fee of $46.00;
• The fee for converting a Chapter 7 case to a Chapter 11 case - to $922.00; • The fee for converting a Chapter 13 case to a Chapter 11 - to $932.00.